“Melts in your mouth, not in your hand”. The candy-coated chocolate was created to allow soldiers to carry chocolate without the worry of it melting. One of the most popular candies created by the Mars company is, M&Ms.M&Ms were created in 1941.Franklin Clarence Mars started the Mars candy factory in 1911 in Tacoma, Washington. They are now with 33 different fillings and sold in over 100 countries.
Hershey had control of the rationed chocolate at the time. Forest E. Mars Sr and William F. R. Murrie represent the two “M”s. William is son of Hershey chocolate’s president who had a 20% share in the product. This partnership allowed Mars to use Hershey chocolate in their products.
In 1976 red candies were eliminated due to consumers health concerns.Suspected carcinogen found in dye FD&C Red #2. In 1986 Mars, inc. has continued to receive petitions about removing the artificial colors but red candies were reintroduced. Petition was by Change.org and a press release from Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) described the artificial colors as “neurotoxic chemicals”.
The CSPI’s Dr Jacobson said: “The evidence that these petrochemicals worsen some children’s behavior is convincing”.“I hope that the committee will encourage companies voluntarily to switch to safer natural colorings and advise the agency to require warning notices.”
Those are the current ingredients listed on a bag of Original M&Ms:
Milk chocolate (sugar, chocolate, milk fat, cocoa butter, skim milk, lactose, soy lecithin, salt, artificial color), sugar, cornstarch, dextrin, >1% corn syrup, artificial colors (Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40, Red 40 Lake), gum acacia.
What are the harm of these ingredients:
“Lake” within these artificial colors means salt was added to the color. This makes the color insoluble in liquids.
- Soy lecithin: Soy lecithin can cause breast cancer, has negative effects on fertility and reproduction, may lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities. 93% of soy is genetically modified.
- Blue #1: Possible effects include asthma, hives, hay fever, low blood pressure, allergic reactions. Produces malignant tumors at the site of injection and by ingestion in rats. Caution is advised if aspirin sensitive.
- Red #40: Damages DNA, causes hives, swelling around the mouth, hyperactivity in children and cancer.
- Yellow #6: Can cause allergic reactions, diarrhea, hyperactivity, vomiting, nettle rash, migraines and swelling of the skin, cancer.
- Yellow #5: Can cause hyperactivity,allergic reactions, cancer.
- Blue #2: Is a petroleum based product with a chemical formula of C16H10N2O2. It increases brain tumors in lab rats,increases hyperactivity in children and other abnormal cell development.
- Gum Acacia: Is a dietary fiber from the Acacia tree. It causes bloating, gas, nausea and loose stool.
FDA has stated that the colors are safe for human consumption. Mars company has chosen to continue to use these artificial colors. They choose to ignore the scientific data stating otherwise, even though there are other natural, safe color alternatives. In 2007 Forbes reported Mars, inc. made $27.4 million dollars. They can afford to make some positive changes to their products.They must.